Prof. Gerd Kortemeyer, Ph.D.
Telephone: +1 517 282 6446
- Installation Guidelines for Fedora 25 [ .html - 15 KB - 2017.06.12 ]
- Installation Guidelines for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Server [ .html - 13 KB - 2021.03.23 ]
- Installation Guidelines for Suse Linux Enterprise Server 15 [ .html - 15 KB - 2021.03.23 ]
- Author´s Tutorial And Manual [ .pdf - 1,8 MB - 2017.05.11 ]
- Course Management Manual [ .pdf - 870 KB - 2017.05.11 ]
- Step-By-Step Guide for Basic Course Setup [ .pdf - 331 KB - 2010.06.08 ]
- Guide to building a course [ .pdf - 120 KB - 2007.02.05 ]
- Guide to LON-CAPA exams [ .pdf - 48 KB - 2007.02.05 ]
- Technical Documentation, Code Base [ .pdf - 2 MB - 2007.02.05 ]
- LON-CAPA 2.11.3 Installation File [ .tar - 480 KB - 2021.03.18 ]
- LON-CAPA 2.11.3 [ .tar.gz - 145 MB - 2021.03.17 ]
Installation files for further operating systems (CentOS, Scientific, Red Hat Enterprise, SuSE Linux Enterprise) you
LON-CAPA is a full-featured course management, learning content management, and assessment system.
It is similar to commercial systems (see edutools.info for comparisons), but has the following additional features:
- Content sharing and content reusability across institutional boundaries, including
- a network of shared resources from over 160 participating institutions
- a shared repository of 610,000 resources including assessment questions and multimedia content
- a large set of resources in physics/astronomy, chemistry, biology, mathematics/statistics, and geology
- the ability to add new resources to the existing content pool
- Creation and grading of randomized homework, quizzes or exams, including the ability to
- reduce blind copying of answers by having different versions of the same assignment for different students, such as different numbers, graphs, images, and formulas
sophisticated question types
- multiple-choice multiple-options
- multi-component formula response
- open-ended assignments with manual grading
- print randomized bubblesheet exams and quizzes (different exam versions for every student in a course)
- include mathematical formulas through dynamic support of LaTeX embedded into XML
- configure the reporting of grades and feedback with a wide variety of options
- contextualize threaded homework discussions
- Internationalized interface, including German localization
- An open-source freeware system
LON-CAPA is a distributed networked system. The three layers of the LON-CAPA architecture are:
- At the bottom is a shared learning content repository, which provides content replication, versioning, catalog information, etc
- At the middle layer are tools to assemble content from this pool. Any assembly again becomes part of the repository
- At the top layer is a full-featured course management and assessment layer to readily deploy this content in your courses.
Development Group and Support
LON-CAPA was initiated at Michigan State University, where the core development group sustains a twice-yearly LON-CAPA release cycle to insure rapid incorporation of instructor-requested enhancements. LON-CAPA was supported by the National Science Foundation and Sloan Foundation, as well as it is currently supported by Michigan State University, and the LON-CAPA partner institutions.
As a distributed system, LON-CAPA is highly scalable and offers load balancing between servers. At Michigan State University alone, more than 13,000 student course enrollments are handled by LON-CAPA, as well as over 150,000 student course enrollments annually systemwide.